Tuesday, February 17, 2009

If I Were a Pacific Islander...

...this would be my sword of choice.  Incase the picture is not that clear, it is basically a wooden blade with shark teeth attached to it.  I found this at the renowned Danish National History Museum which is famous for its well preserved bog people (Danish mummies).  Those pictures did not turn out so well but you weren't missing much.  Call it Danish humor but in the floor with Roman and Greek statues they had a collection of smaller Hercules statuettes which incorporated a modern plastic one from the recent Disney cartoon.  

As a general note about life here that can be rather annyoing and heart stopping, you are almost always walking into a dark room.  According to my pre trip research, Denmark has one of the highest costs per kWh in the world.  As a function of that, nearly every light is tied to a motion detector and is compact fluorescent bulb.  In practice, when you walk into a room, you trip the sensor (maybe) and then it takes a few seconds for the bulbs to turn on in any meaningful manner.  So you can patiently wait at the door (not my style) or barge in and hope for the best.  So far I have almost fallen down a flight of stairs, walked into a winow shutter, hit my head on a lamp, and tripped over a chair.  At least I live near the local hospital.

1 comment: